Drug-Laced Breast Milk Kills Baby Boy
Recently a mother in California has been charged with second-degree murder and two counts of felony child endangerment after her infant son drank her breast milk and died from an overdose of several prescription drugs. In September of 2012, the mother called 911 in the morning to report that her baby was not breathing. Paramedics rushed to the scene, but it was too late. The infant was pronounced dead on the scene. Later toxicology reports indicated that the baby's system was full of prescription medication, including alprazolam, methadone, and oxymorphone.
Babies are especially at risk for drug problems, because their immune systems are so fragile and they can't handle very high quantities of drugs. And though it may seem like breast milk would be safe, the fact is that small amounts of the drugs can be passed from mother to child through the breast milk. In this case, tragically, that amount was enough to kill. Apparently the mother had earlier brought the child to a hospital nearby, where she was told to stop breastfeeding the child because of the dangerously high levels of abused prescription medication in his system.
This tragedy just underscores the danger of doing drugs. And though many people may think of drug abuse as a "victimless crime," the fact is-as this news story illustrates-drug users can be endangering innocent people all around them. You might not even know the people you're putting in danger when you do drugs.
Now is the best time to stop using and abusing drugs-for your own sake and for the sake of everyone you love. With the right treatment program, you can get clean and get your life back. Call Retreat at Lancaster County for more information, or to arrange transportation from PA, NJ, NY, and DE.